Building Official

Attention!  Building Permits are available on-line with our new PermitLink Program. You can also pay for the permit on-line.
For inspections, you may call 860-230-3012.  Please tell us the type of inspection, owner's name and street address in your message.

Construction Plan Requirements

As part of the Building Permit Application, a detailed construction plan must be submitted to the Building Inspector before the Building Permit can be issued. The reason for this procedure is to assure that the project you are planning will meet the current State of Connecticut Building Code. If you were to build a project without proper plan review, your project may be rejected and this would surely cost extra time and money.

Following is a list of items that should be included on the building plan:

  • Draw the plan neatly and to scale (1/4" per foot etc.)
  • Show a plan view or overhead showing size of building with doors and window openings. Label each room as to the use of that room.
  • Show a cross section or a side view of the foundation type that will be used in this project.
  • Show a cross section or elevation of any wall section showing floor joist, studs, wall plates, ceiling joists rafters and roofing materials.
  • Show a detail of any guardrails and handrail systems at landings, decks and stairways.
  • Any bedroom addition must show an egress size window in each of the bedrooms.

What are you doing?

This is what you'll need:
If you are a homeowner doing work on the single family home you live in:
If you are hiring someone:
Changing electric service:
  • The above contractor information.
  • A Customer Request for Service (CRS) number from Eversource.
New project, to include building a shed, garage, deck, sun room, pool, etc:
  • The above contractor information.
  • A B100a permit from NDDH if you have your own septic system and well, a B51d if you have city sewer and your own well.  If you are on city sewer and city water, you do not need to contact the Northeast District Department of Health.
  • An approved zoning permit.
  • Detailed plans (see the plan handout).
  • *Detached garages or sheds less than 600 square feet do not require a concrete footing and foundation 42" below grade.
  • Detached sheds under 200 sq. ft. do not require a building permit.  They do require a zoning permit and possibly a Northeast District Dept of Health B110a or B51d form.
If you are replacing a deck, pool, porch, shed, etc:
  • The above contractor information.
  • Under most conditions, the requirements are the same as a new project.
New home or addition:
  • The above contractor information.
  • A driveway permit for a new home.
  • Septic system or sewer permit.
  • Zoning permit.

If the building will be heated, you must show compliance with the 2015 International Energy Code. See your builder or ask for a guideline handout.

Need Codebooks? Click Here


Mon - Wed 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Thurs. - 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM


Richard J. Martel
Building Official

Robert P. Kerr
Building Official

D. Kyle Collins Jr.
Assistant Building Official

Becky Hewitt
Administrative Assistant
Fax: 860-230-3033