Tree wardens are appointed public officials responsible for trees alongside public roads and in public spaces, other than those on state property or under the jurisdiction of a park commission. Each municipality is required to have a tree warden.
The tree warden’s responsibilities include approving the planting, pruning or removal of trees under his or her authority. Public safety is among the chief concerns of the tree warden.
Town of Plainfield Ct Tree Warden
Town of Plainfield Tree Warden
Tree Warden State Statutes
- CGS Section 13a-140Removal of trees along state highways. Penalties established by municipalities.
- CGS Section 16-234Rights of adjoining proprietors. Utility responsibilities regarding publicly owned trees.
- CGS Section 23-58Tree wardens; appointment; compensation; supervision.
- CGS Section 23-59Powers and duties of tree wardens.
- CGS Section 23-59a Required coursework for tree wardens.
- CGS Section 23-60Public trees; removals.
- CGS Section 23-65Regulations and permits regarding roadside trees and shrubs.
- Compilation of Connecticut’s Tree Laws