Filing with the Town Clerk

The Town Clerk's office can only accept the original DD-214 or a certified copy from another town that it has been filed in. Copies from the National Archives are also acceptable. For newer DD-214's that have been signed electronically, the signature of the authorizing official must also have their ID number. To file your DD-214, you must file the "Full" version – these versions are labelled either "SERVICE - 2" or "MEMBER - 4" found in the bottom right of your record.

Veteran's Discharge papers are confidential for seventy-five (75) years once filed. See the application below to learn about who can request a copy of a military record.

Assessor Tax Exemption Info
Veterans of foreign war that served during any of the following times and received an Honorable Discharge, are eligible for a reduction in their assessment of one property owned in the town they live in. Please click on the link below to see war times that are applicable. In order to receive the exemption, the veteran’s DD-214 needs to be filed in the Town Clerk’s office, for the town in which he or she lives.

In regards to any Service Connected Disability Rating, the VA determined Disability Letter needs to be submitted to the Assessor’s office.  Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Assessor’s Office.